a constant battle with myself and no one is winning
The United States has a pro-life problem. Every day, clinics across the country are besieged by protestors, causing emotional distress to patients and threatening the safety and privacy of patients and clinic staff. Protestors hold gory, photoshopped or mislabeled posters, shout obscenities, pray and sing loudly, stalk patients and staff, and condemn passersby to hell for…walking past, I guess. Some students even get school credit for protesting.
One of the more egregious types of protestors is the “sidewalk counselor,” who, despite having no professional or medical training to claim the title, follows patients up and down the sidewalk, pleading with them not to enter the clinic (and perhaps instead, to visit one of their fake clinics).
At least eight abortion clinic employees have been murdered by anti-abortion extremists since the early 1990’s. Other acts of terrorism include multiple cases of attempted murder, arson, bombings, anthrax threats, stalking, death threats, and vandalism. These extremists usually participated in clinic protests before their attacks, or were associated with anti-abortion groups.
- Helpers of God’s Precious Infants protesting outside a clinic in New York City (via @Tracie713)
- Protestors outside a clinic in Englewood, New York. Clinic escorts are in neon vests (via Merle Hoffman)
- Rain won’t keep away the protestors outside Louisville, Kentucky’s only abortion clinic (via Every Saturday Morning)
- A ring of protestors surrounds the buffer zone outside the Coastal Birth Control Center in Corpus Christi, Texas (via USNews)
- Catholic schoolchildren pray outside Women’s Med Center in Sharonville, Ohio (via The Catholic Telegraph)
- Over 200 students from Virginia’s Christendom College swarm a Planned Parenthood in Washington, D.C. (via LifeSiteNews)
It is completely unconscionable that pro-lifers feel the need to threaten people who are exercising their legal right to an abortion (or in many cases, their access to other reproductive healthcare, like birth control or PAP smears). Some of Kermit Gosnell’s victims testified that the reason they went to him was because they were frightened of protesters at the local legal abortion clinics. Pro-lifers: YOU ARE SCARING WOMEN INTO GETTING BUTCHERED BY UNLICENSED PRACTITIONERS. I hope that keeps you up at night.
Once, we were silent for three days. And it was only in our silence that we could hear the floorboards telling us our home was sinking into the earth. By then, we had been feeling it for weeks: the imperceptible slope of our floors had been slowly nudging us into a corner. Some of the walls and…